Terms & Conditions
- At least 8 schools (potential for up to 16 winners*) across the country will win solar panels.
- Primary and Secondary school winners in each of the 4 regions (Dublin, Leinster, North West, & South).
- Free workshop for all winning schools.
- Free workshop for runners up in every county.
- Support to carry out your action project.
- February 14th, 2020 - Application deadline
- February 24th - 28th- Judging and public vote, the best ideas win!
- Week of 2nd March - Winners announced!
- April 2020 - Workshops with all winning schools
- May 15th, 2020 - Winning projects to be completed.
- Summer 2020 - Solar panels to be installed.
Regions - Prizes for Primary & Secondary Schools in Each Region
At least 8 schools will win solar panels (up to 16).
- North Western Region (Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Longford, Mayo, Monaghan Roscommon, Sligo)
- Leinster Region (Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Wicklow)
- Dublin Region (Dublin City and County)
- Southern Region (Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford)
*At least 8, and up to 16 schools will win solar panels for their school in 2020. The final number will depend on the level of grants available by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI). 2020 will be the first year schools will be eligible to apply for grants for solar panels from the SEAI under their Communities Grant programme. Details of the Communities .
**There is a uniquely Irish rule that makes putting solar panels on schools extra challenging. Schools need to apply for planning permission to put up even one solar panel. Everyone agrees this needs to change! Minister Murphy promised in the Climate Action plan to change it by the end of 2019. He didn't change it. We will wait until this rule is changed before we install any solar panels (to apply for planning permission would add about €3,500 to the cost, and we'd rather spend that money on more solar panels).
Winning schools will receive a 90% grant AND all of the support needed to negotiate putting solar on their roof. Each winning school will be required to fundraise for the final 10%.
This project is kindly supported by the following organisations: