We're hiring a Fundraising Manager
29 Jul 2013
We're hiring a Fundraising Manager
Closing Date: 29th August (midnight)
Friends of the Earth is an environmental campaigning organization whose mission is to shift the balance of Irish policy and practice in favour of environmental justice and sustainability at home and internationally.
We are trying to change the world on a shoestring and in the face of opposition from powerful vested interests. So, unsurprisingly, we need remarkable people on our team. We work closely and flexibly to advance the organization’s goals, values and mission.
As Fundraising Manager you will be responsible for the development and delivery of our fundraising work, including supporter recruitment, donor care and data management.
- Directly manage our fundraising operations and relations, in particular supporter recruitment and development activity carried out in house or by outside agencies.
- Deliver our donor care and supporter relations - to maximise our supporter loyalty and the lifetime value of their donations.
- Manage our supporter database, and fundraising-related administration.
- Lead the analysis of the organization’s fundraising performance and prepare management information reports.
You will also
- Work with the Director to shape our fundraising strategy and messaging.
- Deal with enquiries and act as a point of contact for supporters and the public.
- Recruit and manage interns as agreed with the Director.
- Support the work of Director as required, in particular in relation to office and financial administration.
Friends of the Earth is a small, nimble organization. This means there’ll be plenty of opportunities to learn and develop new skills. It also means you’ll need to be flexible and you’ll be expected to get stuck in and do whatever tasks are required to ensure that work is completed on time and to the highest levels of quality. No matter what your role is within the organization you’ll need to answer phones, deal with mundane office tasks and, crucially, wash the dishes and put out the bins.
We expect the best, but not the impossible. You may not have everything listed below - we’ll hire the person who demonstrates the most impressive mix of the following:
- Development of fundraising strategies and messaging.
- Management of fundraising operations.
- Dealing with fundraising agencies, printers, designers, and other suppliers and service providers.
- Effective project management, including planning, budgeting, implementation against budget and deadlines, and evaluation.
- Supporter recruitment, via direct mail, telemarketing, face-to-face or other channels.
- Writing fundraising appeal letters and/or campaign briefs.
- Donor care and retention.
- Management of a supporter database.
- Fundraising-related administration.
- Analysis of an organization’s fundraising performance and preparation of management information reports.
- Acting as a point of contact for supporters and the public.
- Recruitment and management of interns, volunteers or staff members.
- Office and financial administration.
- Strategic thinking, with ability to think laterally in order to identify and respond quickly to new challenges and opportunities.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to plan and manage different tasks simultaneously and prioritise time and resources accordingly.
- Excellent and engaging written and oral communications skills.
- Good interpersonal and negotiating skills with an ability to build relationships with supporters and external suppliers.
- Ability to manage people and money.
- Share our vision of a sustainable Ireland in a just world and a commitment to our mission and values.
- Willing to muck in and take on any task, big or small.
- Self-motivated, happy to work independently.
- Ability to work as part of a small team.
- Flexibility when deadlines and opportunities arise.
- Dedication to detail and accuracy.
- Open to occasional travel, both at home and abroad, if the work requires it.
The Nitty Gritty
Contract duration: Friends of the Earth offers indefinite contracts, subject to the ongoing sustainability of organizational funding.
Hours per week: This is a part-time contract, for 21 hours a week. More hours may be offered in future depending on organizational funding.
The distribution of the 21 hours across the week is flexible by agreement with the Director.
Location: The job is based in the office in Dublin.
Accountability and support: You will report to the Director.
Annual Leave: 25 days (pro-rata). As well as public holidays the office is closed on Good Friday.
Salary: The salary will be the pro-rata equivalent of a full time annual gross between €27,862 and €31,045, depending on experience. If you have a PRSA, we will match any contribution you make up to 6% of gross salary.
The next steps
To apply, please send a CV, together with an email letter of application outlining why you’d like to work for Friends of the Earth and why you're the person for the job, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you’re applying for in the subject line of the email.
Closing date for applications: Thursday 29th August (midnight).
Interviews will be held in the week beginning the 9th September.