Your legacy gift could help change the world!
After family and friends are looked after, leaving a gift to Friends of the Earth Ireland in your Will is a wonderful way to support our campaigns for environmental justice and sustainability well in the future. A legacy gift can be large or small and is exempt from inheritance tax when used for charitable or public purposes.
Read why our Chairperson Dr. Cara Augustenborg decided to include a legacy gift to Friends of the Earth Ireland in her own Will here.
What your legacy gift means to us
Friends of the Earth Ireland depends in large part on the generosity of our supporters to campaign for a sustainable Ireland in a just world. Your act of kindness will cost you nothing in your lifetime but, from €100 to €100,000 every donation to Friends of the Earth Ireland is greatly appreciated.
If you support the ability of future generations to meet their needs through sustainable development, remembering Friends of the Earth Ireland in your Will is a wonderful way to celebrate your values and help ensure everyone has the right to the natural resource essential to life.
As we rely upon the kindness of individual donors to continue our work, your lasting legacy will allow us to ensure Ireland does its fair share to prevent runaway climate change and also plan for our future campaigns responding to the big environmental challenges of our time as the leading environmental NGO in Ireland.
Making or changing a Will
Making a Will, or adding a codicil to your existing Will is the only way to ensure that those you love will be taken care of.
Will-making: Making your Will is easier than you may think.
- Start by listing everything you could include in a Will including property, money and other assets.
- Then decide who you want to benefit from your Will (including Friends of the Earth Ireland, if you wish), and make a list of their names and addresses.
- Decide who you wish to be executors of your Will. It is typical to have two executors, in case one isn't able when the time comes. They are usually family members or a professional advisor such as a solicitor. If you wish, the Director of Friends of the Earth Ireland can act as a co-executor of your Will.
- Take all of these details along to the solicitor who will draw up a Will for you, or you can now make your Will online.
- We strongly advise that you do not attempt to 'do it yourself'. A 'home-made' Will can often lead to trouble as it may be ruled invalid by the courts if it fails to meet all legal requirements.
Already made a Will? Many people make a Will and forget about it. However, circumstances can change over the years and so it is advisable to take a fresh look at your Will every few years to ensure it meets your current needs.
Changing your Will: If you have already made your Will and decide that you would like to add a gift to Friends of the Earth Ireland, a codicil is an inexpensive way to do so. Adding a codicil to your Will enables you to leave a legacy to Friends of the Earth Ireland while ensuring the other provisions remain untouched and you won't have to pay for your Will to be completely rewritten.
Types of legacies and suggested wording
If you would like to remember Friends of the Earth Ireland in your Will, there are three main types of gift you can make:
- Residuary Gift is the gift of all (or part) of the value of your estate after debts, liabilities and other legacies have been paid and is the most valuable kind of legacy to Friends of the Earth.
- Pecuniary Gift is the gift of a particular sum of money.
- Specific Gift is the gift of a specified item that could be for example; property, a painting or a piece of jewellery.
Suggested wording for a gift in your Will:
If you would like to leave Friends of the Earth Ireland a gift in your Will the following wording may be helpful when you visit your legal advisor:
"I give all (or a _% share of) the residue of my estate to Friends of the Earth Ireland Ltd., 9 Mount Street Upper, Dublin 2, Ireland (Registered company number: 383678) for its general purposes and I direct that the receipt of the Treasurer or duly authorised officer shall be a valid and appropriate form of discharge."
Suggested wording for a codicil to Friends of the Earth Ireland:
If you have already made your Will and decide that you would like to add a gift to Friends of the Earth Ireland, the following wording for a codicil may be helpful when you visit your legal advisor:
"I (name) of (address) declare this to be my first codicil to my last Will dated (date). I give (details of legacy) to Friends of the Earth Ireland Ltd., 9 Mount Street Upper, Dublin 2, Ireland (Registered company number: 383678) for its general purposes and I direct that the Treasurer or duly authorised officer shall be valid and appropriate form of discharge. In all other respects I confirm my Will."
We'd like to thank you!
If you have already included a gift in your Will to Friends of the Earth Ireland, or intend to in the future, we would love to hear from you to express our heartfelt thanks for your generous pledge. Your gift will allow our joint ambition for a sustainable Ireland in a just world to continue long into the future.