Yes to Community Energy
What is Community Energy?
Community energy is a broad term that describes citizen and local ownership and participation in renewable energy generation, distribution and energy efficiency. It is about embracing the advantages that our natural resources provide for generating energy, and allowing the benefits, economic, social and environmental to flow to all of our people and our communities.
Why Community Energy?
Community owned energy projects have the potential to transform our energy system. Communities all over Europe are creating projects where they own and are actively involved in running an energy resource. This could be a wind farm near the area, solar panels on the roof of the local school or local buildings, a biomass fed district heating system, an anaerobic digester fed from local farms, or a collective insulation project..... the list is extensive.
What are we doing about it?
In collaboration with our partners and friends working on community energy, energy efficiency, renewable energy policy and community engagement in Ireland, we have developed a paper which outlines outline some of the main barriers to the development of community energy projects in Ireland, and identifies recommendations to remove these barriers and provide support for the Community Energy industry.
Our Partners include:
- ACE Co-op, Atlantic Coast Energy Co-operative Limited
- Carlow Kilkenny Energy Agency
- Comharchumann Fuinneamh Oileáin Arainn (Aran Islands Energy Co-Op)
- Cork Environmental Forum
- Ecologics - Solar Makes Sense
- Energy Co-operatives Ireland
- Energy Wise Consultants
- Feasta, The Foundation for the Economics of Sustainability
- Friends of the Earth
- Good Energies Alliance Ireland
- LEAF, Collaborating for a Sustainable Future in Laois
- MEGA, Micro Electricity Generation Association
- MozArt Ltd Architecture Landscape Urban Design
- Peoples Energy Charter
- Syspro Systems for Progress Ltd
- Tipperary Energy Agency
- Transition Ireland and Northern Ireland
- Waterford Energy Bureau
- West Clare Renewable Energy
- XD Consulting