Let's hit 20k on our plastic petition!
Posted by Claudia Tormey on February 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM
We've set the date for our next action to pressure supermarkets to #BreakFreeFromPlastic!
Let's reach 20,000 names on our petition by April 13th, when we will be presenting our petition to supermarkets all across the country.
Repak have argued against #ShopAndDrop saying that supermarkets pay a fee to Repak which pays for the recycling of packaging placed on the market. But the vast majority of plastic we're bringing home is not recyclable - it's going into our general waste bins destined for landfill or incineration.
It's time for supermarkets to ditch excess plastic packaging!
We want supermarkets to;
- Offer more items without packaging, such as fruit and vegetables (without plastic trays, wrapping and nets).
- Make their own-brand packaging easily compostable or recyclable, and use less plastic.
- Demand, through their purchasing power, that other brands they carry have easily compostable or recyclable packaging, and use less plastic.
- Blaze a trail in Ireland by implementing a plastic free aisle, as has been done in the Netherlands.
- Provide items in bulk, where possible, to reduce packaging.
- Allow shoppers use their own containers to buy dried goods, buying only what they need.
Permanent link | Categories: