Ready to Rise? Here are three opportunities for you to get involved and take action!
Posted by Meaghan Carmody on October 24, 2018 at 01:06 PM
Sick of plastic? Worried about climate change? Eager to take action but unsure where to start?
Then this post is for you.
Here are three concrete ways you can get involved in taking action for a better, safer, more just world.
1. Apply to take part in 'Mobilize. Resist. Transform. 2018', a 6-session Intro to Environmental Issues
Apply to take part by completing the form below:
This course aims to offer a space to explore the environmental issues of our time, how they intersect and what some of the root causes might be. We will use a variety of participatory, development education style methodologies and work with each other to probe the issues over the course of the 6 sessions, with reading materials provided for each week to deepen your experience.
The course will run for six Thursday evenings, from November 8th to December 13th, in Dublin City Centre from 6:30pm to 9pm.
To cover the cost of the space, we will be asking for a contribution of €40 for those in employment, €25 for those unwaged or students, and €2 for those in Direct Provision. This is payable once your registration is confirmed (however the cost will be waived if it is a barrier to participation).
Once again, you can apply to take part by completing this short form. Please feel free to send the link to anybody you feel might be interested.
2. Save the Date for TD lobby day, 'Rise for Climate, Jobs & Justice'
On Wednesday December 5th, the Stop Climate Chaos Coalition will be hosting a TD lobby day in Buswell's Hotel, Dublin. This will be an opportunity for you to meet one of your local TDs face-to-face and:
- Tell them that we need Climate Action Now
- Ask them what they are doing or plan on doing to ensure Ireland meets its climate targets to keep us below a 1.5C rise in temperature since pre-industrial levels
- Push them to pressurise their party leader to take the steps we know need to be taken in order to avoid climate chaos
Once again, that's December 5th. We will be sending out more information next week, but for now all you need to do is put the date in your diary!
3. Sign up for 'Rise' with the All-Ireland Student Activist Network!
Are you a student or young person? Or do you know any young students or young people who are fired up to take action on issues of social and environmental justice?
If so, let us introduce you to the All-Ireland Student Activist Network! They are working to train, connect and empower the current and next generation of changemakers in the North and South of Ireland. On the 9-11 of November in Cork City, they are hosting RISE, their third annual fun-packed weekend of empowerment, learning and connections.
All young activists are welcome, if you have never campaigned before, got a taste of grassroots actions from this year’s referendum, or have heaps of experience, there’s something you can share and take away.
What they do:
- Training in skills to help people grow as activists
- Explore how different issues are interlinked
- Focus on sustainability - for personal and group longevity & to prevent burnout
- Share resources to help campaigns be successful
- Connect with people who may be interested in joining a campaign
- Hear perspectives from experienced organisers
Cost: Approx €10 per person for transport, accommodation, food and workshops
So there you have it, three tangible things you can do right now to take action for a more just world. I hope you grab hold of at least one of them.
Head of Mobilization
Friends of the Earth