Take action now to push the Divestment Bill over the line!
Posted by Meaghan Carmody on July 06, 2018 at 03:19 PM
This is big.
Next Thursday July 12th, Ireland could become the first country in the world to fully divest from fossil fuels. But the thing is, we need TDs to actually be there to vote. We, those campaigning for progressive action on climate, know how important this is, but the reality is that TDs have lots of other issues to contend with. Unfortunately, they might not show up and vote unless they're asked by their constituents.
Will you take 30 seconds to ask your TDs to be there to vote for a strong Divestment Bill?
If the Bill passes the critical Report Stage in the Dáil on Thursday, it will seal the deal to make Ireland become the first country to take its investments out of the fossil fuel industry.
Right now the Government is in negotiations with Deputy Thomas Pringle, the Bill’s sponsor, about whether they will support the Bill on July 12th . We are hopeful they will support it, but it's not a done deal yet. We need to keep the pressure on.
Nationally, where are we on climate action?
- We are currently ranked second last in the EU on our performance on climate action .
- Ireland will at best achieve only a 1% reduction on 2005 emission levels by 2020, instead of the target of 20% .
- We pushed for loopholes within the EU targets which means we will have to achieve a 21% reduction from 2005 levels instead of 30% by 2030 .
- Our peat-burning stations provide us with less than 10% of our electricity, but cause a quarter of our climate pollution from electricity. And yet there are no solid plans to close these stations and support those currently working there to transition to other employment. Oisín Coghlan, Friends of the Earth Director, spoke on Prime Time about this last night .
But passing this Bill could help us continue to turn the tide of climate action in our favour.
- In 2016 we banned fracking.
- The Climate Emergency Measures Bill to ban offshore oil and gas drilling has progressed to Committee Hearings in the Dáil.
- The government, under pressure from the Stop Climate Chaos Coalition, has just announced that they will establish a special Oireachtas committee on climate action to consider the report from the Citizens' Assembly .
These changes came about because of people power, because of people like you pushing politicians to take progressive action on climate.
Will you continue to use your voice to protect our fragile climate?
Head of Mobilization
Friends of the Earth
P.S. Did you know that you can attend the debate in person on the 12th at 2:10pm? All you have to do is simply follow these four simple steps to contact your local TD (you can use this handy tool if you don't already know who they are http://www.whoismytd.com/) who can put your name on the list of attendees:
- Call the switch board in the Dáil - 01 618 3000
- Ask to be put through to one of your TD's offices
- Tell them you are a constituent (give them your address) and leave a message saying ‘you would like to be put on the list to attend the Fossil Fuel Divestment Bill Report Stage debate on Thursday July 12th at 2.10pm.’
- Leave your phone number and ask for a call back to confirm your name is on the list.
 Ireland and Poland worst countries in EU for action and ambition on climate change
 Government admits projected failure to meet greenhouse gas target 'deeply disappointing'
 Ireland’s Climate and Energy Policy within a European Context – A Critical Perspective
 Peat Harvesting - Prime Time, 5th July 2018
 Oireachtas to set up Special Joint Committee on Climate Action