Vision, Values and Mission Statement
A Sustainable Ireland in a Just World
To shift the balance of Irish policy and practice in favour of environmental justice and sustainability at home and internationally.
- We believe in sustainable development - meeting the needs of the current generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
- We believe in environmental limits - there are definite limits to what we can take from the natural environment and to the pollution and waste we can dump into the environment.
- Within those limits we believe in fair shares of the available environmental space: in particular we are aware that the impacts of damage to the environment hit the poorest in the community the hardest both at home and overseas.
- We believe in evidence based solutions to environmental problems that make life better for people while protecting the planet for future generations.
- We believe in promoting people's action, individual and collective, local, national and international, to tackle the environmental challenges we face.
- To develop Friends of the Earth's capacity, credibility and legitimacy.
- To position Friends of the Earth as a leading environmental NGO in Ireland.
- To win endorsement for Friends of the Earth's environmental justice and sustainability analysis amongst key decisions makers, the media and the public in Ireland, at EU level and internationally.
- To move Ireland toward a sustainable and equitable level of resource use by ensuring that key environmental limits are reflected in policy, law and practice at all levels.
- To inspire and empower citizens and groups of citizens to take grassroots action and to actively participate in Friends of the Earth's priority campaigns.
- To build greater understanding and closer working relationships on sustainability and justice issues between communities and organisations on the island of Ireland.
- To secure the medium-term viability of the organization through building a critical mass of members, a pool of generous donors and a portfolio of grants from trusts and foundations.